1980s.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of 1980s.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

1980s.FM Store

:: 1980s.FM Store ::

Add More Of: The Friends of Mr. Cairo (State of Independence) by Jon and Vangelis (1981)

View previous topic :: View next topic 

Add it?
Yes
85%
 85%  [ 12 ]
No
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Maybe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

GaryLASQ
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

Member#: 428

GaryLASQ is offline View user's profile Send private message GaryLASQ's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:49 pm   Post subject: Add More Of: The Friends of Mr. Cairo (State of Independence) by Jon and Vangelis (1981) Reply with quote

The Friends of Mr. Cairo (State of Independence) - Jon and Vangelis

Buy at Amazon

I would like to see "State of Independence" added from this album. It may not have been released as a single like "I'll Find My Way Home" (which is already on the playlist), but both Donna Summer (in 1982) and Chrissy Hydne (in 1992 "Moodfood" album) did a cover version of it. It also ended up on Jon Anderson's "Change We Must" album in 1994.

Donna Summer YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KePwKX94NM4
with an astounding 80s all-star cast as the background choir:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84_IQKtNYhg

Chrissy Hydne (Moodswings: Spiritual High) YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pywkt4aTgXk
This music was played during the end credits of the movie "Single White Female".

Last edited by GaryLASQ on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 16

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:01 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for suggesting it GaryLASQ.

I voted yes. Although I have talked about it with JERIC after I suggested it to be add and also added in september.
He said that it were very nice songs but he it has more a 70s feeling.

For me personally it brings back a lot of 80s memories when I listen to this album at home or in my car.

But maybe if a lot of members vote yes and say what they think about it, JERIC will reconsider to add it as well.

*off topic
btw Happy Birthday Vangelis!
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

GaryLASQ is offline View user's profile Send private message GaryLASQ's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:08 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SiriusCreations wrote:
I voted yes. Although I have talked about it with JERIC after I suggested it to be add and also added in september.
He said that it were very nice songs but he it has more a 70s feeling.

For me personally it brings back a lot of 80s memories when I listen to this album at home or in my car.

But maybe if a lot of members vote yes and say what they think about it, JERIC will reconsider to add it as well.

Actually, I was (pleasantly) surprised to see this album in the playlist. I'm a Vangelis nut, so anything V (especially late 70s early 80s) is good. However, I was surprised because when I think 80s music, "Jon and Vangelis" doesn't spring to mind. Vangelis may be electronic but I feel most would think of his music as New Age. I only suggested "State of Independence" because it and "I'll Find My Way Home" seem equally popular. Although, I believe the two most popular Jon and Vangelis tunes back in the day were "I'll Find My Home" and "I Hear You Now" (from the "Short Stories" album).

I knew of the cover versions done by Donna Summer and Chrissy Hydne. But I did not know the background choir on Donna's recording was by an 80s all-star group of performers until I poked around on YouTube for the music video. Kind of amusing to watch. I'm not requesting the cover by Donna be added; just trying to use it as validation that the original "State of Independence" by Jon and Vangelis is 80s!! Smile

Last edited by GaryLASQ on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norway der_wichtig
Commander
Commander

Member#: 46

der_wichtig is offline View user's profile Send private message View der_wichtig's Favorites
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted YES! Smile Cool
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:43 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryLASQ wrote:
... I believe the two most popular Jon and Vangelis tunes back in the day were "I'll Find My Home" and "I Hear You Now" (from the "Short Stories" album)...
... I knew of the cover versions done in the early 90s by Donna Summer ... I'm not requesting the cover by Donna be added...

Actually Donna Summer's cover was in 1982 and we already have it here on 1980s.fm

Donna's version is not bad, but I like the Jon & Vangelis version more.

(btw I requested the Short Stories album Wink )
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:32 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SiriusCreations wrote:
Actually Donna Summer's cover was in 1982 and we already have it here on 1980s.fm

Good grief!! And I thought I had done good research. Looks like I used the year of a Donna Summer compilation CD that also included the previously recorded cover song. *sigh*

SiriusCreations wrote:
Donna's version is not bad, but I like the Jon & Vangelis version more.

Oh yes, the original is best. Although her version does have more of an 80s sound. Wink

SiriusCreations wrote:
(btw I requested the Short Stories album Wink )

Excellent. I was hoping you would take the hint. Requests from you hold more weight I'm sure. Smile
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

GaryLASQ wrote:
...Excellent. I was hoping you would take the hint. Requests from you hold more weight I'm sure. Smile...

No this station is not Animal Farm. Where pigs are more equal than the rest Wink

There is only one person that decides wheather to add it or not and he will listen to everyone who made a suggestion. No matter if the person is an admin or mod or a member that just registered.

I speak of experience. I was just a member on SST, I suggsted that the album Baraka should be added just a few days after my membership and in the next update it was there.
Also I suggested here a great supertramp album that is an 80s release and for me a very 80s feeling, but JERIC decided not to add it because he said it sounded more 70s (and he likes that album very much).

When I requested The Friends of Mr. Cairo I already had short stories in my mind. But never came to the point to make the suggestion.

Well let see what other members think and that we can convince JERIC to add more of The Friends of Mr. Cairo Very Happy
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

SiriusCreations wrote:
GaryLASQ wrote:
...Excellent. I was hoping you would take the hint. Requests from you hold more weight I'm sure. Smile...

No this station is not Animal Farm. Where pigs are more equal than the rest Wink

There is only one person that decides wheather to add it or not and he will listen to everyone who made a suggestion. No matter if the person is an admin or mod or a member that just registered.

I speak of experience. I was just a member on SST, I suggsted that the album Baraka should be added just a few days after my membership and in the next update it was there.

Good to know. I was just kidding for the most part. Had the exact same experience on SST with my "Defending Your Life" request for addition.
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:36 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUMP*
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 56

SeclusionSolution is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View SeclusionSolution's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:53 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Vangelis = 80s save as an amen

USA Messiah
Commander
Commander

Member#: 659

Messiah is offline View user's profile Send private message View Messiah's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:33 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Support all 80's Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    1980s.FM Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: