1980s.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of 1980s.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

1980s.FM Store

:: 1980s.FM Store ::

Request Maker 2.0

View previous topic :: View next topic 

Add a block duplicate request function to Request Maker?
Yes! Great idea!
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
No, it's not really necessary...
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Decisions, decisions... o, I just can't decide
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 7

USA FerrisBueller
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 239

FerrisBueller is offline View user's profile Send private message View FerrisBueller's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:55 pm   Post subject: Request Maker 2.0 Reply with quote

Hey, I was wondering... as a new site feature, when we create a requests, would it be possible to search 1) the already existing requests, and 2) the existing albums, to block these if they already exist, so moderators don't have to worry about locking duplicate request threads?

Thanks... Smile

***Poll added***

Last edited by FerrisBueller on Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
India PostmasterDCLXVI
Ensign
Ensign

Member#: 335

PostmasterDCLXVI is offline View user's profile Send private message PostmasterDCLXVI's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Idea Ferris. Smile I recommend adding a poll to the idea, so people can vote on it.
USA Messiah
Commander
Commander

Member#: 659

Messiah is offline View user's profile Send private message View Messiah's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:26 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the search forum before requesting but as you know sometimes it doesn't work. Like with Megadeath I searched and nothing came up so I put in a request that was already posted. I searched for Accept and found that it was already posted. Maybe the search needs to be more broad ranged?
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 16

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:41 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

This check can only be done with albums requested with the request maker and where for instance the ASIN has ben entered.

We have some older requests that are not in the format of the request maker.

Of course it is a nice idea
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 239

FerrisBueller is offline View user's profile Send private message View FerrisBueller's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the idea would get obvious approval from most (especially moderators) Laughing , but I suppose the real question is whether someone (i.e. Pesa, JERIC, etc.) wants the additional coding work.

My thought is: since most new requests are done via Request Maker, add functionality to check if a similar thread is already out there. Then, if a match is found, either it asks the requester for confirmation, or simply blocks the new request automatically.

Duplicate requests aren't much of a problem when the request forum is 1-2 pages. However, it's at 4 now and starting to be a bother, and by 6 or more, it will happen more frequently.

And yes, I've submitted a duplicate request myself, so I'm not pointing fingers by any means. Wink Smile
USA Messiah
Commander
Commander

Member#: 659

Messiah is offline View user's profile Send private message View Messiah's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:51 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of locking the duplicate requests can they simply be deleted by the moderator. Or is that too much of a hassle? Do posts stay forever or is there a time limit and then they get deleted if no new posts were added?
Netherlands SiriusCreations VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 16

SiriusCreations is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View SiriusCreations's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:14 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Messiah wrote:
Do posts stay forever or is there a time limit and then they get deleted if no new posts were added?

Posts will stay forever.
Sometimes it happens that a request that was made 2 years ago it will finally added, because a little change of policy. Like in the beginning of this station rap was a genre that would not be added. Now we have that genre too.

When this new feature will added a mod can add the tags to previous request where the request maker will look if it is already requested (and also if it is already added)
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 56

SeclusionSolution is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View SeclusionSolution's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:50 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Support Idea (Sorry tired) Smile

Brazil Pesadelo VIP (subscribed member)
Admiral (Administrator)
Admiral (Administrator)

Member#: 30

Pesadelo is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View Pesadelo's Favorites
Visit MySpace
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:47 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Messiah, probably you searched for 'Megadeath' and not for 'Megadeth'.

To find whether an album was requested already or not is difficult. The standard forums search stills the better option IMO.

The same applies to the existing albums.

In both cases, it would be necessary that the post creator were to inform the exact ASIN or album name, what is not possible to assure.

Remembering my times as a Mod, there were very few cases of double requests, even thinking that it was at DFM, where the number of requests is by far the larger of all stations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    1980s.FM Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: