1980s.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of 1980s.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

1980s.FM Store

:: 1980s.FM Store ::

Stream Switcher...

View previous topic :: View next topic 

Should we add a stream switcher to all 24/7 sites?
Yes! That would totally rock!
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Maybe-- I have other site improvements I want first
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No. I don't really see the point to such a feature.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

USA FerrisBueller
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 239

FerrisBueller is offline View user's profile Send private message View FerrisBueller's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 am   Post subject: Stream Switcher... Reply with quote

I had this idea a while back... how about a stream switcher for all 24/7 stations? The idea is that you would be able to program in which songs you want to hear on each station, and have the streams switch automatically when your choices come on. If you have 2 station choices which overlap, you could set priority with a simple numeric box next to each song (to the left of where the "No. Time" box is right now).

This could be an additional VIP feature, to make VIP membership more desirable as well. What do the rest of you think? Is this something you'd find useful / use? I think the implementation would be fairly straightforward, but I admittedly only use 1980s.fm, so comments from others who are on multiple 24/7 stations would be great.

Thanks!
Vice Admiral (Moderator)

Member#: 1174

Winter is offline View user's profile Send private message View Winter's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:32 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think this would be really awesome. I tend to jump back and forth between multiple stations. Sometimes I change my mind about what I want to hear at the time, but if having a switcher is possible I don't see why we couldn't have a manual override, too. Smile
Ensign

Member#: 1159

da1e is offline View user's profile Send private message View da1e's Favorites
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 am   Post subject: agreed Reply with quote

I like the idea. Too many times I lose songs when I am not paying attention to the time and would love the stream to switch for me!!!
Without trying, there is never fear.
USA AbeFroman
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)
Rear Admiral (Ambassador)

aw

Member#: 857

AbeFroman is offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website View AbeFroman's Favorites
Skype Name
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Stream Switcher... Reply with quote

FerrisBueller wrote:
I think the implementation would be fairly straightforward

How would it be implemented? Wouldn't this have to be a feature of the listener's player (WMP, Winamp, etc) that's used to select a particular stream?
USA FerrisBueller
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 239

FerrisBueller is offline View user's profile Send private message View FerrisBueller's Favorites
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 pm   Post subject: Re: Stream Switcher... Reply with quote

AbeFroman wrote:
FerrisBueller wrote:
I think the implementation would be fairly straightforward

How would it be implemented? Wouldn't this have to be a feature of the listener's player (WMP, Winamp, etc) that's used to select a particular stream?

It would seem that there are several different ways to implement this.

Right now, you can get a free clock / alarm program here. This is the purely manual solution, and is probably the most cumbersome, and error-prone way to do it. Add up the amount of time you want to listen to a stream, set a timer for WatchMe (or another program), and repeat for each station. A kludge, for sure. Shocked

Another way is with timers for each station stream, which would need a change in the client-side player (iTunes, WMP, Winamp, and so on). I've already sent a suggestion to iTunes, so hopefully one option will become available soon. Wink Again, you would have a lot of work to add up the song times, and determine when to set each timer. This would only be a bit better with automated switching.

Finally, I think the best way is through the streaming locations themselves. Right now, you would connect to an individual station stream to listen, like so:

http://hi5.1980s.fm

That should still stay the same for visitors. For VIPs, this would include some CGI data, pointing to a generic VIP stream, something like this sample (but non-functional) URL:

http://vip.247.fm&user=FerrisBueller&station=1980s.fm

So, at the end of each song on each station, the server would check the user's preferences, and switch dynamically to whichever 24/7 station they have selected, and updated. If you include the station as part of the CGI string, users can manually change between stations if they change their mind later on. Wink

If you really wanted to make it fancy, you could have two options: listen to complete song, and listen to partial song (i.e. another station has a better song coming up in the middle of the one you're listening to). As long as you check with each new station's song being played, it should work easily enough.

Does anyone else have different ideas about how to best implement stream switching?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: