1980s.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of 1980s.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$162.58

5 Donations:
$337.42

Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

1980s.FM Store

:: 1980s.FM Store ::

Not Divisible By 24 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic 
GaryLASQ
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

Member#: 428

GaryLASQ is offline View user's profile Send private message GaryLASQ's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:40 am   Post subject: Not Divisible By 24 Hours Reply with quote

I've been a pretty active member on 1980s.fm for two and a half months. I'm starting to notice a pattern that involves the extremely popular tracks that are in the favorite list of most active members.

There are several that I was never seeing become available that I've had in my own favorite list for a long time. At first I thought it was SAM "stealing" them, and I complained about that on this SAM thread. But I no longer think SAM is as big a factor anymore. Last night I woke up around 2am, felt a little hungry, grabbed a late night snack and hopped on the site to see what was playing. Several of the tracks I never see "green" in my favorite list during the day were green. And the site was pretty active with members, in other time zones than myself, feeding the queue.

I think what happens is certain active members hop on at around the same time of day and see the same popular picks available that they saw and picked 8 days ago, because the wait time is evenly divisible by 24 hours. I've definitely been picking a lot of the same popular stuff myself, or see others who are online with me pick them if they get to them first.

What I think would be a good idea is if the wait time was something like 8 days + 2 hours. This should help mix it up more and get these popular picks to creep around the clock faster than they would otherwise.

I'm really enjoying this site, and want to say thanks again to JERIC and anyone else responsible for doing the work that enhances this online music station.
Germany mariel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

aw

Member#: 166

mariel is offline View user's profile Send private message View mariel's Favorites
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:58 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea Gary.
GaryLASQ
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

aw

Member#: 428

GaryLASQ is offline View user's profile Send private message GaryLASQ's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:59 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I think about it, the no-repeat wait time is 8 days + 1 hour, since SAM always maintains a minimum 1 hour queue *duh*. So I suppose that's enough to keep extremely popular tracks slowly creeping around the clock. Plus, most of the time, members aren't picking them the second after they become available; but that does happen from time to time Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    1980s.FM Forum Index -> Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: