1980s.FM
VIP
Subscribe to become a VIP member of 1980s.FM!

· Request More Often
· Unshared Requests
· Request Countdown Timer
· Request Ready Indicator
· Your Request History
· Access To The VIP Forum
· Add More Favorites

:: Click Here To Upgrade ::

:: Give VIP as a Gift ::

Listen Live!

Follow Us

Search

Donation Meter

Make donations with PayPal!
Monthly Goal:
$500.00

Need:
$137.58

6 Donations:
$362.42

StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-23) janbenes $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-9) shrike $20.00
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-8) trailblder $25.00
Death.FM (Apr-2) SeclusionSolution $242.42
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Apr-2) Locutus76 $30.00
Death.FM (Apr-1) valar_morghulis $20.00

Last Month's Donors
Death.FM (Mar-29) htmm $13.37
StreamingSoundtracks.com (Mar-27) klingon50 $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-22) chapper $10.00
Death.FM (Mar-17) swissdeath $9.99
Death.FM (Mar-15) osiris $10.00
1980s.FM (Mar-11) Bondstec $15.00

1980s.FM Store

:: 1980s.FM Store ::

"Streamlining"

View previous topic :: View next topic 
USA JERIC VIP (subscribed member)
Fleet Admiral (Proprietor)

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:48 am   Post subject: "Streamlining" Reply with quote

We have made changes to the Listen page recently. They include:

- MP3 streams have been removed (except Live365).
- 64k Ogg & 64k WMA have been removed.
- 128k & 64k combined into one column.
- Window Media streams have no HTML by default but can click the logo to get the Chat, Now Playing, Queue/Played inside.
- Updated the notes.

Now that iTunes and RealPlayer support aacPlus, it is a no-brainer for us to take advantage of this. If you use any of these players, please upgrade to the latest version.

We removed 64k Ogg & 64k WMA because we believe there are 2 practical choices: either a low bandwidth option or high quality. Few people want in-between and Windows Media Guide only displays 2 options as well (128k & 32k).

Anything in the 64k/128k listen options are close to CD Quality regardless of their bitrate. Anyone who listens to 64k aacPlus can testify to its superiority. 32k aacPlus is incredible too.

When choosing an option for Windows Media Player, you will see a logo to click if you want the Chat, Now Playing, Queue/Played to load inside of the player.

Ogg will be leaving us soon too. So we will only support WMA and aacPlus in the future.

By consolidating our streams, it will give us higher placement in radio directories, thus giving us more listeners. We are saving a lot of money in bandwidth fees and some server resources as well.

If anyone has any questions or issues listening, please post them here.
USA esmagnus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Member#: 505

esmagnus is offline View user's profile Send private message View esmagnus's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:35 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update JERIC. Love this!

My biggest issue with 80s.FM is the wait time to play tracks. I haven't been on 80s.FM in about a month, and when I came back I still see that 95% of my favorites list is all red. Very discouraging. Honestly, about 85% of the tracks on my favorites list, I have NEVER got to play because they are always red.

This is especially discouraging for new users. I think there should be special access for new users to play anything they want anytime for a week. Then there should be additional VIP access tiers. For example there could be a tier for say $15 a month in which you have a shorter wait time to play a track. And for $50 bucks a month, you never have to wait. Anyways, lots of scenarios but you get the idea.

My biggest concern is new members, who come here and see that they can't request most of their favorite songs. This has to factor in to why there are so few listeners here.

Not that I want to hear the same songs over and over. This is what distinguishes 80s.FM from other 80s stations, but I find that it's just too restrictive.

Member#: 1

JERIC is offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website View JERIC's Favorites
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Skype Name
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:29 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

Your issues really don't anything to do with the streams but I'll address them here anyway.

I feel your frustration about the favorites. I had to expand this because I was hearing songs too close together. For someone who listens every day for hours it is important to have variety.

My solution to this is to keep adding more music, so you can add more favorites. I do have a lot to do yet.

Which brings me to the low listeners. I really do not think our listeners are low because people can't requests their favorites as much as they want. How many other stations have favorites, let alone requests, and no commercials. It is for several reasons.

- The station is still relatively new.
- There are a lot of 80s stations so we get lost in the mix, especially on Windows Media Guide and Live365.
- I have done close to nothing to promote the station. I am still trying to build the library as fast as I can.
- We get a lower placement in iTunes with the name 1980s. Adagio gets the highest. a-z then numbers. It makes a big difference believe it or not.

As I add more songs, and you add more favorites you will find it less restrictive. Just give it a little patience and you will see how awesome 1980s.FM will be.
USA esmagnus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

esmagnus is offline View user's profile Send private message View esmagnus's Favorites
Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:18 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

What about my point about different subscriber levels?
Lieutenant

Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:49 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

JERIC - Seriously. This is a problem. There are about 20 tracks I've wanted to play tonight that are red. Gimme a break! I just don't understand the logic in having to wait over a week to play a track!!!!
Lieutenant

Yahoo Messenger
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:40 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a comment from a user on the Film Score Monthly boards when I was trying to spread the word about streamingsoundtracks.com:

It's a good site, but with the advent of Spotify - with thousands of soundtracks readily available to stream at MY choice - I must admit that it doesn't have the same appeal anymore.

Sorry, but the following is ridic:

Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 448

Devin888 is offline View user's profile Send private message Devin888's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:01 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use Winamp 128k for tunning in Smile.
USA FerrisBueller
Commodore
Commodore

aw

Member#: 239

FerrisBueller is offline View user's profile Send private message View FerrisBueller's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go with either AAC (on iTunes), or Winamp, depending on which strikes my fancy.

I can also see esmagnus' point about the wait times; since they were lengthened, I've noticed an unfortunate trend in that the same songs become available at the same time (every 10 days), leading to people requesting them before anyone else can. Instead of introducing variety, this tends to mean that the playlist will repeat (more or less) exactly as it did 10 days ago.

To remedy this, I'd suggest shifting the wait times back to every 8 days, and simply rely on the expanded playlist of artists and songs to provide the variety for the station.

Thanks! Smile
Captain

Member#: 898

notime33 is offline View user's profile Send private message View notime33's Favorites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:14 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with FB Cool Would be nice for a mix up
USA Devin888
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Member#: 448

Devin888 is offline View user's profile Send private message Devin888's Favorites are Private
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:24 pm   Post subject: Reply with quote

yup notime33
USA MRRP
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Member#: 120

MRRP is offline View user's profile Send private message View MRRP's Favorites
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:57 am   Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll post off topic too. If the wait were 9 and a half days it would help allow different requesters get to request some songs that are played exactly 10 days apart by the same member. Oh was that one sentence, sorry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    1980s.FM Forum Index -> Streaming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: